- More rain coming tomorrow night and Friday?!?! Ughh....
- The chicken run will NEVER dry out!
- January is almost gone already....
- Why can't the media report more happy stories than awful ones (pssst....it may change people's moods for the better - oh the horror!)
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Haven't done one of these in a while :-)
- Really going through the wood now!! High temps in the upper 30s and low 40s with no sun, lots of rain...very damp & dreary!
- Still getting an average of 2 eggs a day from 4 hens - noticed the increase when we starting giving them our leftovers and oatmeal with buttermilk for breakfast...
- Now I know what to do with the buttermilk left over when I make butter!! Never dawned on me to give it to the chickens...until I read it in my Encyclopedia of Country Living!
- Still making butter, a year later :-) My husband loves it so much he will not buy it from the grocery store anymore.
- Are we really and truly going to see the sun today?!?! 60F for the high?!?! I'll believe it when I see it...
- No commute this week - boss is out of town so I get to work from home all week - YIPPEE!
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
- What's up with the WIND?!?!
- Is going to be warm or cold - please make a decision....60 yesterday...40s today...almost 70 this weekend?!?!
- Social media - love it or hate it? Right now I am hating it...well, hate may be too strong a word...intensely disliking may be better. (Stepping up on my soapbox now) I think I understand the need for social media - it is a fantastic way to keep up to date with the goings on of the people in your life that you may not have the chance to interact with on a regular basis - they live really far away, they work opposite hours of yours, etc. However, there are some people out there who can't seem to help themselves and take it to the extreme. They use it as their personal mountaintop on which they can climb and scream it out for the whole world to hear, whether anyone wants to hear it or not. If you are a friend of mine on Facebook, you will notice that I do not post every day...well, same could be said for my blog!!! Anyway, I am not the kind of person who puts it all out there for the whole world to know. I am a rather private person - and I recognize that some are not like that. But do you really need to put everyone's personal stuff out there when they didn't even put it on their own page? I guess I just don't understand the need to be knee-deep in drama, every minute, of every hour, of every day. Or the need to stick my nose in everyone else's drama if I don't have any of my own at the moment. Believe me, I have enough going on in my life right now that I don't need to add anyone else's crap to the list. I just wish they would be a little more sensitive to their "friends" and show a little self-restraint and manners before broadcasting something that is not theirs to share. Ok - I am done (stepping down off soapbox now).
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Better late than never!!
- Rained Monday....raining again all day today....glad it isn't cold enough to snow!!
- Dinner menus are getting monotonous...same ole thing week after week...
- Finally got the greenhouse covered a week ago...have I planted anything in it? NOT! No time...
- Wish my vacation lasted longer...
- Has anyone else had a problem with their banner picture not showing up correctly?? I gave up and just removed it.
- We only got 3 eggs today - WHA?! 3 eggs from 4 chickens?!?! In January?!?! Not really a whine :-)
Friday, January 6, 2012
Kind of not homesteady - in the true sense of the word - but communication with the outside world is pretty important. As such, our cell phone plan is up for renewal, so we can get new phones. A lot has changed in the last two years since we got our current phones...so many decisions now!! I have narrowed my search down to 3 phones...and was wondering if any of you have owned any of these or knew someone who did/does and what your/their experience was with each. I appreciate all comments on these phones - yay or nay. I do not want to end up with a phone that gives me more grief than necessary as I have enough going on in my life now :-)
- iPhone 4 (not S - wayyyyy too expensive)
- Samsung Conquer 4G
- Samsung Epic 4G
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Welcome to the first installment of Whiny Wednesday for 2012! I hope everyone had a fabulous New Year and that you are all looking forward to another year of successful homesteading - whatever your definition of that may be :-)
- New year means back to work!! Groan...
- Vacations never last long enough, and they go by so quickly!
- Winter reared it's ugly head yesterday and today - yesterday's high was right around freezing; got down to 17F last night...
- We had a few flurries Monday evening....yes, flurries in NC...amounted to a dusting on the pool cover and the steps. Still too much snow in my book!