So, in the past year, this is what I have accomplished:
- Knitting and crocheting again
- Making butter - we never buy it at the grocery store anymore!
- Learned to make bread - I started baking some again yesterday - I really missed the way the house smells when I didn't bake it all summer
- Produced more vegetables in the garden this year than last - still not enough to put up for the winter, but we are making more progress each year
- Grew fruit - our blueberry bushes are small, but did put out a decent harvest to have in yogurt for breakfast for about 2 months - I would like to plant a couple more bushes next year
- Got chickens - fresh eggs are definitely the way to go! We have had 2 "no egg" days in the past two weeks...not bad considering we only have four girls and we have been getting 1-2 eggs every day even with the shorter days (we are not using supplemental light in the coop; I figure Mother Nature has a reason for the winter slow down)
- Cooking more from scratch - not buying so much of the prepared foods. It really does make a difference and doesn't take that much longer to make
- Would like to get a couple more pullets - we really love the "home grown" eggs!
- Learn to make yogurt - I love yogurt, especially blueberry - so if I learn to make my own, and add my home grown blueberries to it, that would be cool!
- Grow enough in the vegetable garden to be able to try canning
- Learn to make cheese - not sure how much "extra" time I will have, with the full time job, dogs, cats, chickens, etc.. but it is something I would like to try
- Possibly raise some meat chickens and learn to process them - the thought of raising home grown chicken appeals to me - but the processing scares me!!
I hope everyone has had a great year and I look forward to learning much more from all of you next year!