Friday, December 2, 2011

The Holy Grail

For my birthday, my husband asked what I wanted.  I told him about a book I really wanted.  It was not one I had checked out of the library...but wanted to read badly.  Everywhere I go to look for information on homesteading, this one book kept popping up...it is supposed to be the bible for homesteading.  The Holy Grail of information, if you will.  So, he told me to order it - and I did.

I am now the proud owner of "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" by Carla Emery.  Do I hear angels singing!?  I am in heaven...or what I think is heaven as I am not an overly-religious person.  This book is HUGE!  It is the 10th edition, 35th anniversary copy.  I have started reading it, but it will take me a l-o-n-g time to finish it.  I hope to be able to review it by 2013!!  There is soooooo much information in it, I think it will start leaking from my ears soon.  It is been updated to include websites, etc. Every list of books and/or other places to find information that I encounter, I get sidetracked for hours looking to see if I can get those from our library or perusing the websites and getting lost in all of THAT additional information.  But I am so excited!!  I have already learned so much in the year since I began my foray into homesteading.  And there is still so much more to learn.

Have any of you read this book or own a copy?  What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

I actually own two copies! I got a newer edition from a family memeber last year and didn't have the heart to tell her I already had one. But I didn't return it....just didn't have the heart to, and like you said, there were some additional reference materials in there like websites (the older one I had didn't have websites!!) and such.

Enjoy it! I go through it once in a while & there is always something new to learn.

Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

Yes, I have it and I LOVE IT! I can tell you that you'll never finish reading it, you'll always be going back to it for something or other.

Leigh said...

Happy Birthday and congratulations on the book! I have to say it is one of the all time classics, a true must-have. Mine's a 9th edition though, so no websites. That would be a bonus I think.

Prairie Cat said...

I will definitely be looking into that book! I just bought a little country home with some acreage, so I am looking for all the advice I can get. Thanks for sharing!

BrokenRoadFarm said...

I am finding I have to read it in small pieces, a little at a time....otherwise the information just leaks out of my ears and runs down my neck LOL

Prairie Cat - Welcome!! I think it is a good investment (I paid $20 on Amazon) - I am learning a lot so far and I am only about 75 pages into it!