Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope all of you mothers out there are having an AWESOME day!  Mine began in a way that I never thought it would...I woke to up chickens!  When we opened the coop, they were all huddled in the corner - which is exactly where they were when we wrangled them all and put them in the coop last evening.  All day today, I have been going outside to see how they are doing.  I was starting to get nervous that they would not find their way down the ramp to the "outside world" again.  But, they finally got it.  It was so cute to watch them walk up and down the ramp - going inside to get some food or water, going back outside to feast on some tasty bugs.

So, without further ado, we would like to give a warm welcome to the new girls of Broken Road Farm:


Loretta - New Hampshire Red

Emmy Lou - New Hampshire Red

Reba - Production Red

Dolly - Barred Rock
 In case you haven't guessed it - they are all named after some of the greatest female country singers.  I know - you're not supposed to name your future food.  But my husband assures me it will not be an issue later.  We will see a few years from now.

They are young - only 8 weeks old.  So they have a little ways to go before we see our first eggs, but we are immensely enjoying "farm tv"...ok, really, I am!

1 comment:

Leigh said...

They're beautiful! Congratulations! We have a ramp on our coop too, and I wondered the same as you. It was a lot of fun watching them learn to negotiate that. Chickens never cease to be entertaining. Love their names. LOL.