Friday, September 30, 2011

On the Road Again

We just got back from a little road trip last weekend....well, not little really.  We drove from NC to NY, with the two dogs, to visit my husband's family for a long weekend.  The trip took 11 hours, one way.  Sasha does very well in the car - Mika is a whole other ball game.  She is a very high energy dog (it's the lab in her), and is very much "Daddy's girl".  She suffers from separation anxiety when my husband is not around.  So, despite the fact that we got a bag of Composure treats and doubled the dose for her, she was still not liking the 11 hours in the Jeep.  By about the 9th hour, I was ready to tie her to the anchors in the back of the Jeep just to keep her down.  But I didn't....she survived...and I couldn't wait to get a drink when we got there!!!

We left about 5AM on Thursday, thinking the dogs would just sleep while it was still dark out....nuh-uh!  It was hours of "Mika - lay down....Mika - lay down....good girl.  Mika - lay down....MIKA - LAY DOWN".  Needless to say, that night, they both PASSED OUT COLD. 

We got to see my husband's family (Mom, Dad, sister with her husband and son, cousins, aunts, uncles) and his friends from growing up who still live there.  We took the dogs to the beach on Lake Ontario...Sasha loved running in the water (this is the dog who doesn't want to go outside when it is raining!!) and Mika was terrified of the waves....Mika....the lab....the water dog....

My husband with Mika (blonde) and Sasha (black)


My husband: C'mon Mika! 
Mika:  No!  I do not like the waves!

The weather was nice - a little on the cool side - we only had a couple of rain showers on Friday.  The rest of the time was dry and sunny, for the most part.  It was a lot of good food, great people, fun and laughter.  It's always a good time when we go there - it's just a REALLY LONG trip to get there and back.

Sasha on the trampoline with Grampa

My mother-in-law, me and the sweet lady who lives two doors down

My husband playing with his nephew - the dogs are the referees!

I missed our chickens immensely!  But they were in good hands with our neighbor across the street.  Turns out, she used to have chickens of her own so she knew what to do.  But apparently, we got a TON of rain at home while we were gone, so there is no sand left in the run.  Guess what we will be doing this weekend :-)

So, what was the best part about spending 22 hours in the car in four days?


Mmmmm.....and it's Pumpkin Spice season too!!!  YUMMY!!!
(We don't have any where we live, so I make sure to get my fill when we go up north)

3 comments:

Leigh said...

Dunkin' Donuts coffee is the best! Looks like you had some lovely weather, I see shorts and t-shirts in the photos. Glad you and your dogs survived all that traveling. :)

The Apple Pie Gal said...

ANYTHING in a Dunkin' Donuts cup is the bomb baby!!

Looks like you had a good time and the dogs ah-er-behaved?

BrokenRoadFarm said...

Thanks Leigh. It was nice weather and I'm not sure I want to make that trip again before we have a camper!!

APG - We had a great time! They are such a great bunch of people!