Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Little Background, Please

I met my husband in 2005, after being a single mom for 13 years.  It was love at first sight for him - I was more sensible and had to give it time before I made that decision :-)  We got married 13 months after our first date.

I work for a large bank and my boss lets me work from home 3 days a week.  The other 2 days, I have a 140 mile commute, one-way, to work.  So I spend about 5 hours in the car each day.  It is getting old, after 2-1/2 years, but we are not ready for me to quit my "day job" just yet.

My husband works for a heavy equipment rental company.  This has come in handy more than once as we tried to set up our homestead.  He has access to earth moving equipment (bulldozers, excavators, road compactors, etc.).  Here he is fixing our driveway that always disappeared after the winter rains/snows:


I am happy to say, it has held up very well this winter - and we have had a lot of snow!


Mika & Sasha playing in the first snowfall in early December
We have had 3 more major snowfalls since for a total of about 20 inches so far this winter.  Now this may not sound like much to you, but when you are living south of the Virginia border, it is A LOT!  There has been snow on the ground, in one form or another, every day since the beginning of December.  Our normal temps this time of year are in the 40's for the high, mid-20's for the low.  We have been running about 10 degrees below normal all winter.  I am sooooo ready for spring!!

Today we will get a small taste of it - high of 52!  Enjoy!

No comments: