Monday, April 11, 2011

Saturday Night

Each Friday and Saturday night, my husband and I sit out at the firepit.  This is our relax and unwind from the week time.  We are able to do this no matter what the weather - he has built a gazebo with a roof over it, and has installed tarps that we can roll down to keep the wind, rain or snow out; or roll up when we don't need them.

This past Saturday night was a different story all together....the weatherman said there was a 30% chance of severe thunderstorms.  Usually, that is a pretty low percentage...however, we have learned that anything above a 20% chance, is probably going to happen.  So as we were sitting outside, enjoying the fire, all of a sudden the wind started to pick up.  And to the north, we started seeing flashes of lightning and hearing some rumbling of thunder.  Then, my cell phone started getting a flood of messages (I am signed up to received severe weather alerts on my phone) - severe thunderstorm warnings, tornado watch - which then turned to a warning.  So, we doused the fire and went inside to ride it out.

Then came the hail....it was sooooooo loud; and kept getting louder!  I looked out at the porch and saw it - started out pretty small, maybe pea-sized.  Then it started getting bigger:

Hail on the pool cover
 
My husband holding a handful of hail

It got really scary,  but passed quickly.  The speed of the storm was the only GOOD thing about it. We were thankful there was no damage to the cars or windows.  But, the weekend was pretty much a washout with all the storms and rain.  I don't know if we will ever get the chicken coop completed :-(


Progress as of a week ago - too much rain since then to get any more done on it
 

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Wow, I'm not sure it that's the kind of excitement most of us are looking for! Glad there wasn't any damage. I love that you sit out at your firepit like that. What a beautiful way to relax.