Thursday, July 7, 2011

Holiday Weekend/Vacation Day Update

Wow...holiday weekends really throw your sense of timing off, don't they?  Add to that a vacation day tacked to the end of the holiday weekend and BLAM!  Where did the time go?

Saturday, we did some stuff outside - until it got so blasted hot we had to quit and jump in the pool for fear of heat exhaustion!  My husband had a big piece of dirt digging equipment dropped off at the house, so he played with that most of the day.  You know, knocking down trees, picking them up and throwing them around, digging into the hillside, moving the dirt somewhere else.  It's like a REALLY BIG Tonka toy :-)  I weeded the vegetable garden, dug up all the onions and garlic that had no tops left - big disappointment.  Neither really seemed to grow much....guess I need to read up some more on how to get those to grow BIG.  The tomatoes are coming along and we have a stalk of broccoli sticking out.  The lettuce has finally decided to bolt, and the tops of the carrots are huge!  Wonder how much is going on underground...this is the first time I have tried to grow carrots.  I have a hard time with the things that grow below the surface - you can't see what is happening!!

Sunday, it was blazing hot again, so, much of our time was spent inside in the a/c.  Watching TV, reading, surfing the net, etc.

Monday, my husband slow-cooked a pork shoulder in the crock pot with his homemade BBQ sauce - Oh My Gosh!!!  Scrumptious!  And I made my Jello Flag Cake that I make every year - a big hit in my family.  That night, we lit off fireworks - the dogs barked and barked (they really do not like loud bang sounds), an errant firework almost killed me - but I survived by screaming my head off and running away without even spilling a drop of my wine, thank you very much - and the next morning the chickens were still alive when I went down to let them out.  All in all, a very nice weekend.

Oh - wait!  There was one more day to that long weekend :-)  Tuesday, we both took a vacation day.  Since we had such a fun filled, action packed weekend, we decided to slow it down for a day.  We hopped in the Jeep around 10:30 AM, took off, found a road we had not traveled before and just kept driving.  There really is a lot of pretty farm country around us.  We kept taking back roads - if the road we were on had lines painted on it, we made sure to turn onto one that did not - and gravel roads and just admired everything.  This is much easier now that GPS units have been invented to get you back home :-)  Otherwise I would have been a panicked mess trying to keep up with all the turns and roads to make sure we could get back!  Anyway, we ended up in Virginia in a little town called Meadows of Dan, where we stopped at a small restaurant and had an AWESOME lunch.  We got back home around 2PM and slacked off the rest of the day.  It was a vacation day well spent - sometimes you get so bogged down in all the stuff you need to get done around the homestead that you forget there are some pretty nice places to visit off the homestead.

I hope you all had a fabulous Fourth, and are enjoying the "short week"!

1 comment:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Sounds like a great weekend! And you didn't even spill your wine! Can't beat that, otherwise that is truly alcohol abuse :) HA!

Glad you chickens didn't freak at the fire works! Mine did just fine by the way too!