Sunday, November 6, 2011

Take It Easy

This weekend we kind of took it easy.  The only "major" thing we did was fix the chicken run.  The other night, we had a rain storm come through that didn't dump a lot of rain, but must have packed some pretty high winds.  The next morning, there was a significant amount of leaves on the ground and no longer on the trees, and the tarp we had covering the run was ripped and hanging off one side.

So today we got another tarp and put it over the run.  The girls did NOT like all the strange noises coming from the tarp scraping over the chicken wire we have on top to keep hawks out.  They kept running and flying all around trying to escape the noise.  But once it was done, they were a lot happier!  In the spring, we are going to put a roof over the run.  My husband is researching a new kind of roofing material called Ondura.  Supposedly it withstands the sun very well and doesn't break down as quickly as the plastic or fiberglass panels.  But it is a little on the pricey side.  And since we will have another semester's tuition, property taxes and the holidays to pay for in the next 6 weeks, the roof will have to wait until after the New Year.

We were going to split some more wood, but didn't.  We were going to cut up some more pallet wood, but didn't.  I guess we all need a little down time after go, go, going all summer long.  It's not like we are low on wood, just wanted to stay ahead.  We have been using the wood stove overnight as the temps have been hovering around freezing and also in the morning to take off the chill until the sun rises high enough to shine in the windows.

I hope everyone remembered to "fall back" this morning.  I forgot all about it until I got my Farmcast text from The Weather Channel.  I thought it was 8:10 AM, but it was really 7:10 LOL!!!  It was nice to have that extra hour - didn't feel so rushed to get nothing done today :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good weekend. Sometimes we all need that down time.

Me? I had the opposite kind. very busy, but productive. A last hurrah sort of thing. Now, now I can take it easy.

Leigh said...

I fell back but my goats really need to be told to adjust our milking schedule, LOL. I agree down time is sometimes necessary. We figure if we can't enjoy this life, then what's the point of being caught up on everything all the time.