Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Busy, busy, busy!

We had some phenomenal weather last weekend, so we took advantage and did a bunch of stuff outdoors.  My husband had a couple pieces of heavy equipment dropped off on Friday.  He fixed the driveway - which is an annual task when you have a 600 ft. long gravel driveway!  And guess who forgot to take a picture....yep - that would be me.  Oh well...

But I did get a couple of pictures:


Here, he is grading out the area for the chicken coop and yard in the foreground.  We also staked out where the coop and surrounding fence will go.  Chickens in June - YAY!  In the back, where the other piece of equipment is, he is going to build a small pole barn to house the yard and outdoor equipment.  We will use our own pine trees as the poles and may even cut our own boards from trees on our land for the sides and roof.  Still a work in progress...

And while he was having fun with his "toys", I set to work in the greenhouse.  I cleaned up the raised beds, tilled it up, added some homegrown compost I have been making for about a year-and-a-half now, and sectioned it off.  I am going to try the "gardening by the foot" method this year.  It certainly does seem to take less time, even though you are still working with the same amount of space overall:


The bottom row is onions, garlic, onions and lettuce (L to R).  The only square that is planted on the top row is the right-most one - I found some potatoes still growing when I tilled it, so I put them back in the see what they will do.  In the house, I have some flowers and herbs started - there are little green sprouts everywhere!  Snapdragons, Petunias, Marigolds, Thyme, Oregano and Tarragon.  Hurry spring!

No comments: