Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chickens

I want chickens.  Bad.  Since I started perusing all of these blogs, I just have this need for chickens.  So I purchased a copy of Jenna's Chick Days and now I want them even more.  I have nothing yet - no coop, no feed, no straw or wood shavings...but I have picked out the spot where I want the coop.  And my husband is working on a design for the coop.  It's a start.

Originally, I thought it would be so neat to raise them from day-old chicks.  All the little poufs of fuzz, with their little cheep cheep noises....Yeah - hello?!  You have 2 large dogs and 3 cats?!!?  What was I thinking....so now I am looking at pullets or young hens who have already started laying.  I know they are more expensive, but I need to start outdoors with them.  Then all I have to worry about are the foxes, raccoons, possums and hawks. :-\  Oh, and don't forget the snow and frigid temps....SIGH.

Someday....hopefully soon!

No comments: