Monday, October 3, 2011

Busy, busy, busy!

Wow - where did the weekend go?  And it's October already?!?!?  We had a very busy and productive weekend around the homestead.

Saturday, we got up early - fed the dogs, cats, chickens as usual.  Then headed to town so my husband could get his mop, I mean hair, cut...then off to the local Heritage festival (yes, there is pretty much one every weekend in September for each of the local towns/cities near us) to visit my daughter who was working a tent for her job, then off to Lowe's to get more sand for the chicken run (the rains washed it all away while we were in NY), then grab some lunch, get home, hook up the trailer to the four-wheeler to move 500 lbs. of sand back to the run, unload and spread it (that was my job) while my husband worked on fixing the log splitter.  We had to get a new pump for it - the one we initially put on it was not strong enough to handle the back and forth on the pushing mechanism.  It went forward just fine, but was very SLOW going back.

Sunday, we had grocery shopping to do, stop at Lowe's to pick up one more part for the log splitter and some 1/2 price perennials, go home to unpack and put everything away.  Watched a little football (darn Panthers....), then while I planted the new plants out front and ripped everything out of one of the raised beds in the garden, my husband finished repairing the log splitter.  Yay!  Then I moved the chicken tractor onto the bed I emptied and set the chickens to scratching it all up.  Boy, did they have a ball!  Then we moved the log splitter to the back yard and started splitting some wood.  It worked AWESOME!!  Much better than before with this new pump.  It made short work of the few logs we split - we have a long way to go!


Yep, it's ugly...but only cost $300 so far.  The most powerful one at Tractor Supply is $2,000.  And this has way more power.

Then we went in to eat some chili I had pulled out of the freezer.  It was a chili kind of day :-)  The weather was very cool this weekend, with overnight temps dipping down to the lower 40s.  Daytime temps only got to the low 60s.  Perfect weather to get stuff done outside!

The only two things we did not get done that we hoped to were to close the pool and clean the chimney for the wood stove.  Oh well, there is always next weekend, right?!?!

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

That log splitter could have been painted pink with red & orange polka-dots for all I'd care if I only had $300 into it. What a great splitter!

Been thinking about chili here also...until I found out it's going to be 80 degrees for the next five or six days. Guess it can wait another week.

BrokenRoadFarm said...

LOL!!! You are too funny Carolyn! I am very lucky to have such a handy husband! Our temps are supposed to move up during the week too, but I don't think we will hit 80. We are in the time where we can open windows (finally) for most of the day, then late in the afternoon we have to turn on the air. But I will take it while I can get it!

Leigh said...

A log splitter! Wow. My DH would be envious. We've priced them at TS and Lowes too but their prices are oughta sight. You certainly sound productive these days.