Thursday, October 27, 2011

Changes

Today, our high temp was 77F.  Tomorrow's forecasted high is 49F...I think Fall will make it's debut tomorrow.  I like fall, with the cooler temps and pretty colors.  What I don't like is the weather that follows, or the short, short days.  I started taking my Vitamin D a couple of weeks ago.  They say it can help to keep your spirits up for those of us who have "SAD" - Seasonal Affective Disorder.  I have it...my husband hates it.  But I think this year may be better with all that I have learned, or re-learned, this past year.

I still make my own butter every week.  I will begin baking bread again with the cooler temps - just couldn't bring myself to do it during the summer when it was 100F outside and the air conditioning was running non-stop.  Only this year, I will try to make it every weekend, instead of only when we need it.  I will freeze the extra so we have some during the warmer weather too.

I will be busy making my crafts too.  I found some cute patterns for crochet and knit and have been working on them.  I am receiving some very good feedback from family and friends, and may start renting tables at the local festivals next year to try my hand at selling them.  I have also looked into setting up an Etsy store.  This year, I am making a lot of the gifts we will be giving, instead of buying something I am not sure the person will like/use, or giving up and just getting a gift card.  I am certain the hand-made gifts I have selected will be very well received...or at least I hope so!

I think having the chickens this year will help me as well.  I never tire of watching their antics, listening to their "conversations" with each other, how Emmy Lou waits at the gate for me when it is time to go to bed, or opening the nest boxes and finding beautiful, home-grown eggs inside...

I am looking forward to my holiday baking using my home-made butter and home-grown eggs this year.  They can't help but make everything taste better.  We are filling up the freezer slowly but surely - chicken noodle soup two weeks ago and chili last week. 

This weekend, I will pull the last vestiges of tomato plants from the other raised bed and we will cover the greenhouse.  Last weekend we covered the pool.  It is time to start closing down and putting everything up for the winter to come.  Before I know it, the holidays will be upon us (Monday is Halloween already!!).  I still have vacation time at work I have not used - I look forward to being able to sleep in a little when I do finally take them.

Hope everyone had a great day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love baking on the weekends. It's my Sunday thing. Cookies for the little ones lunches, muffins, breads... so relaxing.

Leigh said...

We had our first frost this morning. :( I wasn't quite prepared for it and lost my remaining green pepper plant.

Vitamin D is supposed to work wonders at protecting a body from the flu too.

BrokenRoadFarm said...

ADoC - Yes, relaxing and oh so yummy :-)

Leigh - We did too - and we did not get a chance to cover the greenhouse as it was too windy. Oh well.