Thursday, September 8, 2011

Eeeek!

So, last night, after dinner, my husband and I were out on the back steps, chatting with each other and the chickens (I know, we're weird) when my husband turns to go in.  He stops in mid-turn and slowly says, "OH.....MY......GOD.....Do you see that?"  I follow to where he is pointing at the gravel walkway that goes behind the house....8 feet away from us, on the ground, laying across the walkway, was a Copperhead!!!!  YIKES!  Approximately 2 feet long, and as big around as a 1/2-dollar.  Apparently, it was making it's way up the hill and across the walkway trying to get under the house for warmth, when the sun went down and he got too cold and stopped in his tracks. 

My husband rushes inside to put on boots and jeans and grab a gun, while I stay outside to make sure it doesn't move - yeah, I get the sucky assignments LOL  Back outside with the .22 - let the shooting begin!  Now, normally, my husband is an excellent shot - however, when the rifle scope is set for 200 yards, and you are aiming for something 8 feet away and 3 feet beneath you...he did hit it.  But that also woke up the snake and it shot off the sidewalk.  Now I have to go put on my tall muck boots and grab the flashlight and hold it so he can try to shoot the now-squirming-for-his-life snake.  After about 7 more shots, it no longer had a head.  It had gone under the generator so that made shooting very difficult.   Trying to hit the snake, without hitting the generator, or the side of the house...

Just a reminder of the wildlife that comes with living out in the country.  No pictures - I hope that is the LAST one I ever see!

6 comments:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Holy Moly! Is that the first one you've had out there? Aren't you terrified to walk around??? Do you wear boots? Snake proof ones, if there is such a thing. My gosh I am glad we don't have those things!

Anonymous said...

Icky, icky, icky! I don't mind wildlife, but that is going just a tad to far for me. Glad your hubby was able to dispatch him!

Leigh said...

Good grief, this is the kind of excitement nobody needs! So glad you saw it before it bit you. Whew.

BrokenRoadFarm said...

APG - My husband has seen others - this is the 1st one I have seen. I wear my knee-high muck boots or leather hiking boots most of the time - I NEVER go barefoot!

Ruth - I totally agree!

Leigh - Exactly right! Problem is, as the weather cools down, we will probably see more as they search for warmth. But we always keep the arsenal close by :-)

Ashlee said...

Hello! I am new to your blog, and I must say, I love it!

And that is exactly what My husband would have done! Made me stand there with the snake!!

Just wanted you to know, I gave you a shout out on my blog, so please go on over and check it out! http://tinygardener.blogspot.com/

BrokenRoadFarm said...

Tiny Gardener - Welcome! Thank you for coming along for the ride - and thank you for the award! I will do my part today :-)